China has expressed its strong disapproval of the US military’s decision to shoot down a Chinese spy balloon over the South China Sea. Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian said at a press conference on Thursday that the US had fired upon the balloon without proper justification, and that China had expressed its deep concern over the situation.
The US military claims that the balloon was a threat to its operations in the region and had violated US airspace. However, China has argued that the balloon was operating in international airspace, and that the US had no right to shoot it down.
China has also accused the US of “interfering in China’s internal affairs” by targeting the balloon. Zhao said that the incident was “extremely irresponsible and dangerous” and could have posed a threat to the safety of personnel and equipment in the area.
The incident has further heightened tensions between the two countries, with China warning the US to “immediately stop such provocative acts” and to “cease all military provocations” in the South China Sea. The US has so far refused to comment on the incident, but has indicated that it will continue to defend its interests in the region.
The incident is the latest in a series of escalating tensions between the two countries. In recent months, the two sides have been engaged in a trade war, as well as disputes over the South China Sea, Taiwan, and the construction of military bases in the region.
The Chinese government has also accused the US of trying to contain China and undermine its development. The US, meanwhile, has accused China of engaging in aggressive behavior and failing to respect international laws.
The US and China have been locked in a diplomatic stand-off for months, and the latest incident is likely to further strain relations between the two countries. As tensions continue to mount, it remains to be seen how both sides will respond and whether they can find a way to de-escalate the situation.